What is PRTG Network Monitor, and How Does it Help Monitor Your Network?
As organizations continue to rely more on their IT infrastructure, it becomes crucial to have effective network monitoring in place. The PRTG Network Monitor is a comprehensive tool that provides monitoring capabilities for networks of all sizes, from small businesses to large enterprises. This article will explore what the Network Monitor is, describe how it works, and how it can benefit your organization.
What is PRTG Network Monitor?
It is a software solution that provides real-time network monitoring for a wide range of devices, servers, and applications. It offers comprehensive monitoring capabilities that can help IT teams identify and resolve issues quickly before they impact business operations. Furthermore, it supports multiple protocols and technologies, including SNMP, WMI, SSH, HTTP, and more.
You can monitor all systems, devices, traffic, and applications in the IT infrastructure. Everything is included with the PRTG; plug-ins or downloads are required. PRTG Desktop is a powerful and easy-to-use solution for Windows PCs, suitable for businesses of all sizes.
Create dashboards with a mapmaker, and integrate all network components with over 300 different map elements, such as device and status icons, traffic charts, top menus, and more. Customize your map with custom HTML. Once finished, share your map as a URL that can be accessed either publicly or internally only on your LAN.
Alerts you when it detects unusual problems or metrics. It comes with many built-in mechanisms for notifications, such as email, payment, or HTTP requests. With the free apps for Android and iOS, you can get push notifications directly to your phone.
Adapt the notification system to suit your needs and schedule alerts (such as ‘No low priority alerts at night’), or avoid alert floods with dependencies.
How Does it Work?
The Monitor works by collecting data from various devices and servers across the network, and then analyzing that data to identify potential issues. The tool uses sensors to collect data from different devices, such as servers, switches, routers, and firewalls. Each sensor is configured to collect specific data, such as CPU usage, memory usage, disk space, and more.
Aggregates the data collected by sensors and provides real-time alerts when issues are detected. IT teams can customize the alerts to suit their specific needs, ensuring they are notified immediately when critical issues arise. The tool also provides comprehensive reporting capabilities, which can help IT teams identify trends, analyze performance, and plan for future capacity requirements.
PRTG Network Monitor Highlights
Determine the amount of bandwidth your devices and applications use and identify the bottlenecks.
Monitor a variety of devices with the software’s SNMP function.
Monitor specific data sets from your databases with individually configured SQL sensors and queries.
Track your entire local network, including workstations, routers, switches, servers, and printers.
Manage all your apps and get detailed statistics about every app that works in your network.
Centrally monitor and manage all cloud computing services from anywhere.
Monitor all server types in real-time for availability, accessibility, capacity, and overall reliability.
- Highly customizable interactive interface for best usage
- Scale up to 10,000 sensors per installation
- Automatic network discovery
- Pre-configured device templates with recommended sensor combinations for different devices
- A powerful modern software engine
- The configuration is arranged in a tree-like hierarchy with inheritance settings.
- Load distribution is allowed using remote probes for extensive CPU monitoring such as package inhalation.
Network Monitoring Features
- ‘Smart’ sensors automatically detect and monitor quad-core CPUs individually plus the total CPU load
- Users can create ‘maps’ that combine observation status, charts, and tables in customizable layouts and customizable backgrounds such as network diagrams.
- The integrated web server supports SSL security, multiple logins, user groups, and an HTTP-based API to communicate with other applications.
- Monitoring results are viewable from different perspectives.
📌 Note: Unlimited version of PRTG for 30 days. After 30 days, the app returns to a free trial. Then you’ll be able to continue to use 100 sensors for free forever. Or, you can upgrade to a paid license at any time.
What Are the Benefits?
The Monitor offers numerous benefits to organizations, including:
1. Improved Network Visibility
Provides comprehensive network visibility, allowing IT teams to monitor all devices and servers on the network from a single dashboard. This visibility enables IT teams to quickly identify potential issues, diagnose problems, and ensure that the network is running smoothly.
2. Increased Efficiency
PRTG automates many of the manual tasks associated with network monitoring, such as collecting and analyzing data. This automation saves IT, teams, time, and effort, enabling them to focus on more strategic initiatives.
3. Proactive Issue Detection
It provides real-time alerts when issues are detected, enabling IT teams to respond quickly and proactively. This proactive approach can help prevent issues from impacting business operations and minimize downtime.
4. Customizable Dashboards and Reports
It offers customizable dashboards and reports, enabling IT teams to view the information that is most important to them. This customization ensures that IT teams can focus on the metrics that matter most, and make data-driven decisions to optimize network performance.
How to Download and Install?
To download and install PRTG Network Monitor, follow these steps:
1. Visit the website and click on the “Free Download” button.
2. Select the appropriate download option for your operating system (Windows or Linux) and download the PRTG installer file.
3. Once the download is complete, double-click on the installer file to start the installation process.
4. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation. You will be asked to accept the license agreement, choose the installation directory, and select the components you want to install.
5. During the installation process, you will also be prompted to enter your license key. If you are using the free version of PRTG, you can skip this step and continue with the installation.
6. After the installation is complete, launch by clicking on the desktop shortcut or navigating to the installation directory and launching the executable file.
7. The first time you launch PRTG, you will be prompted to set up your initial configuration, including setting up your sensors, adding devices to monitor, and setting up notifications and alerts.
8. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the initial setup, and you’re ready to start monitoring your network.
📌 Note: Also offers a cloud-based version called PRTG hosted by Paessler, which eliminates the need for local installation and setup.
In conclusion, PRTG Network Monitor is a powerful tool that provides comprehensive network monitoring capabilities for organizations of all sizes. It offers real-time alerts, customizable dashboards, and automated data collection and analysis, enabling its teams to proactively identify and resolve issues before they impact business operations.
By using PRTG Network Monitor, organizations can improve network visibility, increase efficiency, and take a proactive approach to network management.
- Category: Networking Software
Program name: PRTG Network Monitor
- Version: The latest
- License: Demo
- File size: 271 MB
- Operating system: Windows 32/64-bit
- Languages: Multilanguage
- Developer: Paessler AG
- Official site: paessler.com
- SoftPerfect Network Scanner
- Wireshark Free
- 4share File Storage Software
- FileZilla for Uploading Files
- Radmin to Remote Control
- Remote Desktop Manager