The Old Rugged Cross
The Old Rugged Cross
On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the Dearest and Best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.
So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it someday for a crown.
Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary.
In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see,
For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.
To the old rugged crossˆ I will ever be true;
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He’ll call me some day to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I’ll share.
By: George Bennard, 1913
Bible Verses About Cross
1. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. Matthew 10:38
2. Save thyself, and come down from the cross. Mark 15:30
3. Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2
4. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:27
5. Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; Colossians 2:14
6. And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Philippians 2:8
- I Don’t Want To Be A Hypocrite, I wanna Serve You Lord
- Jesus Never Fails He Still Loves and Cares For You
- Jesus Loves Me This I Know For The Bible Tells Me So
- Higher Ground – Lord, Lift Me Up and Let Me Stand
- Great is Thy Faithfulness, O God My Father
- Face to Face with Christ My Savior
- Breathe Upon Us, Lord From Heaven
- Where Could I Go But to the Lord?
- I come to the Garden Alone
- There Is a Fountain Filled with Blood
- He Leadeth Me by his own Hand
- Rock Of Ages